Jieyang (Jay) Hu
I am currently a lead developer at Expedia while pursuing a masters degree in computer science at the University of Washington through the Professional Masters Program. I have a decade of professional experience creating scalable web applications as a full stack developer. I started my career at Twango, a startup company that was later acquired by Nokia and that had millions of members before finally being shut down. I have strong leadership skills, having served as lead dev and scrummaster on multiple teams, and am a quick learner frequently called upon to rapidly prototype new functionality using a variety of different languages, technologies, and frameworks.
Frameworks: Scalatra, .NET Framework 4.0, Spring, NodeJS 0.10, WCF 3.5, ASP.NET 2.0, MSMQ, Classic ASP, ASP.NET MVC 3, LINQ, Ext-JS, Prototype-JS, JQuery
Databases: SQL Server 2012, MySQL 5.6
Web Servers: IIS 7.0, Apache, Nginx, Jetty, GlassFish
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008, Linux (Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Cent OS), Max OS X
Other: Microservices, Agile, Scrum, Git, Perforce, SVN, AWS, Splunk, Jenkins pipeline (Continuous Delivery and Continuous Integration), Maven, Splunk, Regular expressions, XML, XSD, XSLT, HTML 5.0, CSS, Active Directory Federation Server 2.0, MsBuild, OAUTH, SAML, WebSSO, Bash shell, Awk, Sed, Powershell
Expedia – Lead Developer (Software Development Engineer 2)
July 2013 – Present
- Currently leading a team of developers for Local Expert Supplier Connectivity, where Expedia interfaces with external activity platforms to make bookings directly in supplier systems and supplier aggregator systems. This directly increases market penetration. Using Scala for API web services and angular JS for the front end administrative tooling. Part of this work also includes refactoring existing monolithic web services into smaller microservices. So far have successfully integrated with numerous platforms such as Seaworld, Universal Hollywood, Universal Orlando, and TourCMS. Responsibilities include design, coding, delegation, and mentoring.
- Led team of developers on successful migration project. Consolidated a legacy PHP web application and a NodeJS facade layer that sat on top of it into a single streamlined Scala web API that handles searching and booking of tourist destination activities.
- Worked on a team of developers that designed, developed, and successfully shipped a Java web service that served as a bridge between the Expedia Order Management System and various legacy booking/inventory systems for activities. Spent a few of sprints as scrummaster, running sprint planning, grooming, daily standup, and making sure sprint deliverables were on track.
- Designed and implemented a Cancel API for booked activities.
- Implemented logic to detect if an activity has changed price in between shopping and booking time.
- Helped with numerous engineering excellence projects including: caching of activity search results, metrics collection and reporting, and Splunk support for real time aggregation and monitoring of logs.
Premera Blue Cross (Experis) – Software Development Engineer Vendor
February 2013 – June 2013
- Worked on a consulting team that shipped a fully functioning end to end SOA solution to generate electronic Explanation of Payments (EOP) in PDF format anytime a user requested them from the Premera website. The architecture involved Microsoft Messaging Queue, a Windows Service, three WCF web services, and two databases. This was one of the first time that Premera had shipped something with so many moving parts, so our team helped Operations with the deployment automation.
- Wrote and unit tested a job status monitoring web service that tracked the state of pending PDF generation requests using SQL Server, WCF, and C#.
- Wrote and unit tested a cleanup application in C# that deleted old EOP documents. It could run as a standalone application, or as part of the Premera batch job system.
- Helped write a WCF Router service to route messages inside a DMZ to web services behind the firewall. To conform to the Premera deployment process, wrote a custom WCF Behavior to dynamically load the endpoint URLs at runtime from an external XML file instead of from the web.config.
Concur Technologies – Senior Software Development Engineer
September 2010 – January 2013
- Worked on a team to start migrating key pieces of business logic in the legacy classic ASP codebase over to web services written in .NET. Responsibilities included refactoring out business logic in the ASP codebase into its own separate layer, porting it over to .NET, designing the RESTful API endpoints, and creating a regression test framework.
- As part of work for the Concur Open Booking platform, designed and developed .NET web services to retrieve and update user profile and customer loyalty program data for third party travel vendors such as Avis.
- Helped increase Concur market share by integrating with Tramada profile sync, a third party profile management system used by most travel agencies in Australia. Contributions included designing and developing a RESful .NET webservice including designing the SQL Server backend schema and stored procedures that pushed new profile data to Tramada anytime a user edited an employee profile.
- Helped increase Concur market share by shipping Concur Standard Travel, a product targeted at smaller sized businesses. Did full stack development with C#, ASP.NET, MVC, Ext-JS. Architected solution that used AJAX calls into an adapter service that sat on top of legacy asp code to make future migration easier.
- Designed and developed a user survey to collect customer feedback and integrate it with the Concur reporting system. Architected a flexible design that would facilitate easily adding/removing questions.
- Wrote an HTML cleanup application that fixed malformed customer generated HTML stored in the database. This application balanced tags using a stack based algorithm.
- Proactively looked for, found, and fixed security vulnerabilities in my free time, resulting in being assigned a majority of PCI Security compliance bugs found by third party vulnerability scanners. These vulnerabilities included cross site script injection and SQL injection.
- Helped to develop and maintain the SQL Server 2008 backend of Concur, including database schema design, stored procedures, and performance tuning.
- Helped ensure compliance with Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act, by making existing pages accessible to those with disabilities. This was a major requirement in Concur’s successful bid to become the sole travel and expense solution for the United States General Services Administration.
Microsoft (Avanade) – Software Development Engineer Vendor
November 2009 – August 2010
- Worked on team of vendors in the Entertainment and Devices division to successfully ship a digital supply chain for XBox Live.
- Helped designed and develop a RESTful API that provided account management capability as well as security role lookup and management for all downstream dependencies in the digital supply chain. Technologies utilized by this web service include WCF, C#, .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Identity Foundation, LINQ, Active Directory Federation Services 2.0 (ADFS 2.0) and T-SQL.
- Added support single sign on support by integrating the REST service with Active Directory Federation Services 2.0. Coded a customs claims adapter that mapped users authenticated via Windows Live and Active Directory with their claims set in the supply chain. Also coded the custom WCF Behaviors that retrieved and verified the security tokens from ADFS 2.0.
- Responsible for setting up, configuring and maintaining the ADFS servers on the development and test environments, including setting up relying parties, federating with Live and Active Directory, and configuring the claims rules. Assisted Operations with set up in the production environment as well.
- Responsible for the SQL Server 2008 backend of the REST web service, including database schema design, stored procedures, replication, and performance tuning.
- Responsible for build automation, deployment, and release notes.
Nokia – Software Development Engineer
2007 – 2009
- Helped design, develop, and maintain the C# midtier and data access layer of Nokia Ovi Share, an online media sharing and content management web application that had over ten million users before it was shut down.
- Designed, developed, and maintained an ATOM and REST web services using C#, TSQL, and .NET that enabled applications to upload, tag, edit, comment on, and share photos and videos on Ovi Share. These APIs were mainly used by Nokia smartphones, allowing Nokia to tightly integrate its web services with its mobile devices, generating thousands of daily new members on Ovi Share.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining the regular expressions used by the URL rewriting engine of Ovi Share that enabled RESTful URLs for the website and its web services.
- Using a third party SMS provider, designed and developed the Ovi Share SMS functionality that enabled Ovi Share users to send and receive social media notifications on their phones.
- Designed and developed the geocoding functionality of Share on Ovi, allowing automatic location tagging of photos and videos uploaded by Nokia devices.
- Developed and maintained RSS and ATOM syndication feeds that exposed recent, popular, featured, and other interesting views on Ovi Share. This enabled photos and videos on the site to go viral, bringing in new users and increasing stickiness for existing users.
- Helped design, develop and maintain the Ovi Share SQL Server 2008 backend, including database schema design, stored procedures, and performance tuning. Also helped set up read only database replication to improve performance for features such as RSS feeds.
- Helped convert and replace the legacy authentication and authorization code of Ovi Share with a federated single sign on solution, NCIM, provided by Nokia and based on OAUTH, WebSSO, and SAML.
- Helped develop a syndication API that allowed Nokia S40 and S60 phones to publish social media to Facebook and Youtube. Main areas of responsibility included designing the MySQL database schema, the Python data access layer, and the implementation of the ATOM and REST API endpoints using Python. These APIs were hosted on Linux (Cent-OS) servers running Apache and written in Python and the Cherry-Py web service framework.
- Designed and developed a REST API for parsing out the country code on a mobile number, using Java and the Glass Fish web service framework.
Twango – Software Development Engineer
2005 – 2007
- Worked on a small team of developers to create a media sharing/content management website that was later acquired by Nokia. This web application was hosted on IIS 6.0, used a SQL Server 2005 backend, and used C# ASP.NET for the front end and C# for the midtier.
- Designed, developed, and tested the SOAP, ATOM and Metaweblog web services that enabled applications to upload, share, and edit media on Twango.
- Worked on the Twango SQL Server 2005 back end, including database schema design, stored procedures, and performance tuning.
- Designed, developed and tested a multi-threaded windows service that sent out email or SMS notifications regarding new user activity on social media. Also implemented the SQL Server backend and C# business logic layer functionality that kept track of user subscriptions and notification preferences.
- Designed, developed and tested private messaging functionality on Twango.
Virtual DSP – Firmware Development Intern
- Wrote firmware code in C for the Net Muffin, a network enabled embedded software device that remotely controls lighting appliances via the X10 protocol.
- Wrote a simple web based UI in PERL that allowed users to monitor and issue commands to Net Muffins plugged into their local area network.
University of Washington, Seattle Washington (2014 – present)
Obtaining a masters degree in Computer Science through the Professional Masters Program
University of Washington, Seattle Washington (2001 – 2006)
Graduated with Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics
University of Washington Professional and Continuing Education C++
Microsoft SQL Server® 2008 Database Developer
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test Level 3